August 28, 2008

Let it snow!

I went down to Ohakune last week and managed to catch up on some HUGE snow at Turoa - unfortunately it was a complete white-out, with 50m-30m visability which is a complete waste of time riding in!! Never have I seen so much snow on the road up to the field:


I caught up with my friend Erik to watch the Whakapapa v Turoa mountain crews battle it out in the annual tug-of-war. This was serious stuff - just take a look at that table! 4 person team who have to light all three bulbs up by the minutes end to win. Two rounds each team. Erik was pretty pleased as her Turoa Womens A Team took the gold for the ninth year. (Sorry Erik - I know you'll hate me for that photo but it's such classic happiness my girl!)


I also found a yarn shop - The Crafty Snowman, 33 Clyde St, Ohakune, ph 06 3858133 - if you are down/up that way please drop in and see Sharon - she has plenty of knitting and crochet supplies for those white-out days!


And I finally put The Mighty E down for a moment to start some knitting this week - a mitre square blanket in "Donkey" brown and white stripes. I actually like the reverse side more - it's a bit more subtle stripe. With 5mm needles, cast on 70 st, place marker after 35 st and k2tog before the marker on every row. To start a new square, just pick up 35 st off last square, cast on a further 35, place marker as before etc. For every 8 rows of Donkey, knit 2 rows of white.


And don't forget Jaffas - Kraftbomb this Sunday, 1pm-4pm @ Grey Lynn Community Centre.

No comments: