September 22, 2008

Bowl-Licker

No knitting this weekend folks (in fact, just quietly, I've lost my knitting mojo at the moment & here's hoping it's just a spring thing). BUT I did get some sewing done. I've had a couple of projects in mind - firstly a set of boxer shorts for CH's birthday and secondly some summer tops for me.

First - the boxer shorts. This is a Simplicity pattern (9056?) that I've had for years which is very easy although you need to check the measurements - it has very long & wide leg measurements. I used some Texas Check cotton @ $7 p/m which should soften up after a few washes. They have an elastic waistband and handstitched the edges/fly. CH likes them although is perturbed I made him undies!!

Second - my summer tops. I've been trying to curb my consumerisim by shopping unneccessarily but all the summer ranges in the shops right now are driving my resolve mad - I haven't been shopping for nearly 3 months too. So I came up with a pattern that could be made with little fabric - hopefully even by recycling a skirt or top. The pattern is simple to sew (basically joining 2 squares and looping a neck tie) and could easily be varied - satin ribbon, shorter length, halter neck - but this version only took me 1.5 hours and used 1m of 150cm wide fabric from my scrap bin. I'm really pleased with it as you can slap a belt round the bottom, or tuck it in, or let it hang loose and looks good with jeans or shorts. The neck tie can be loosened right off or tied up tight around the neck like all the pussy-bow shirts around.

It was a bit difficult getting a photo with it on - this was the best I could do -set timer, run for percieved centred shot, pose, wait, check, REPEAT! LOTS!

It was CH's birthday this week so I made him a choc-banana cake with choc icing even though I had been debating about trying a lemon icing for something different. I couldn't do it in the end though - hell don't you agree the best bit about making choc icing is the bowl clean-up mission (oooh yeah I'm a serious bowl-licker):

1 comment:

"made in the sollies" said...

That top is perfect for the sollies. I am gonna make me some!!!

So is it really just two squares - with the tie threaded thru the top?

Seems too easy.