March 13, 2010

2010 WIP # 2: Baby Blanket

Here is the second WIP of the year - a baby blanket for newborn bubb "Connor".



I used 8 balls of Naturally's "Loyal" yarn - 100% wool, 8 ply DK - in grey (colourway 905). A really easy yarn to knit with, a bit of an "acrylic" feel though so I actually increased my needle size to make it a bit looser and therefore softer. I thought machine washable would be a good idea for a new mum but when I blocked it, it pilled a lot and I was scrapping off heaps of fluff - so I might not say it is machine washable after all!

Naturally give 5 cents from each ball to the Child Cancer Foundation of NZ and Aus - that's pretty neat of them!


I used a simple moss stitch pattern on size 6 needles with doubled yarn. Hopefully it's thick enough they can use in on their polished concrete floors for him to play on as much as a blanket to wrap him in. A wee bit of crochet round the edges means it ties in with the same baby beanie yarn I used for her baby shower gift.

I knitted a lot of this over the summer holiday (moss stitch is a nice easy but not so boring lazy knit) but since baby was not due to Feb I took my time finishing it. Off to present to new arrival next week - apparently reflux has been a problem so maybe the machine-washable-ness will have to be tried!

No comments: