October 2, 2008

Hints for Knitting on the Train

I try to train to and from work for the majority of the week. With a 25-35min ride I find it's the best time for me to fit some knitting in. There are a few things that ensure it remains my best space for uninterrupted knitting and keeps up my good knitterly image - I am a suit with sticks after all!
  1. Take a small WIP: nothing with too many balls otherwise you awkwardly scramble and scavenge around in your bag in that small space between seats looking like a feral-bag-lady-knitter. Untangling balls often ends with elbows flying and half your knitting going bush - and your fellow passenger giving you "the subtle, rude look".
  2. Use circular needles: straights end up stabbing people beside you in the arm, resulting in silent, annoyed looks of "I'm-pretending-the agro-knitter-beside-me-didn't-just-violently-attack-with-her-right-needle-on-purpose" which amuses me really as my 5mm bamboo ends are about as sharp as a hot cheese croissant! Circulars are also really easy to quickly pack up if you have to give way on the seat or nearly miss your stop. Obviously a crochet hook is the extreme streamlined craft tool.
  3. No mohair allowed: use non-fluffy yarn - unless you work in a shearing gang brushing half a fleece off your lap and onto the next person is not cool for school. It's also messes up your suit - paleese.
  4. Take the WIP in a cloth bag with long straps: sometimes I can do the stand-up/leaning crochet position and having the bag over your shoulder but still hanging low makes the whole thing more transportable.
  5. Never take an ipod or mp3 player: nothing ruins the lustrous knitter stance than suddenly finding yourself in the zen-knitting-position humming your version of the TING TING's "thats not my name" then the kid next to you gives you "the subtle, rude look" and has to turn his ipod playing Slipknot up even louder! Actually the truth be told I don't even have an ipod anymore but I still find myself doing this ... geez talk about when one is zen.
  6. Expect questions - it's funny the people who ask me what I'm knitting - old, young, men, kids. The usual comment is "I only thought grandmas knit" to which I occasionally reply "gee - thanks I thought I was looking pretty good for my age these days"!

Happy knitting!

No comments: