April 7, 2010

Tomatoes

It's truly the end of summer when you pull out your last remaining tomato plant. I had an up and down year with the crop - firstly they were late bloomers and then got "bottom-rot"; but in Feb they took off!


My favourite ones were these heirloom saucing toms - yucky and floury fresh but so tasty stewed up. I probably used about 6-7kgs of fruit and have a couple of sauces in the freezer.

The other varieties I tried were Money-maker and Cherry - both provided a small but tasty crop (which is way better than last years big and untasty crop!). I definitely going to plant more heirloom crops next year. But for now all are gone and I've got the spinach, broccoli, cabbage and brussel sprouts in.


2 comments:

Celeritas said...

Wow, sounds interesting to try heirlooms. I haven't really got into gardening since moving out of home but I hope to take it up when we buy a house.

Although we do have a pumpkin growing from our compost at the moment. I hope that we get some fruit off it before it dies due to the cold.

Jasmine said...

Absolutely try the heirlooms Celeritas - they look fab too - there are these great black ones I want to try next year. :)